[haiku-inc] Re: Updating the donat-o-meter...

  • From: Karl vom Dorff <karlvd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 10:08:40 -0400

> Finally, remember that it's nice to setup bounties, but you have to find
> a developer who wants to work on the features. I would start by asking
> the developers how they want to be paid and what they would like to work
> on (which is what Haiku, Inc. is doing). Bounties that don't get claimed
> are useless.

All these arguments are valid for GSOC too though.

> And once again, bountysource is up and running and waiting for people to
> inject money into it. Karl, you can advertise this at Haikuware. We can
> also add information about it on the Haiku website. But I still think
> this doesn't need to involve Haiku, Inc. They CAN donate to bounties
> there if they decide that's a good way to spend their money.

It is very strange. Haiku Inc. can get involved in funding decisions for
contract work, but not for bounties?

I just wanted to try to show that major corporations with a lot more money
than Haiku Inc. use this method, and it can be successful.

I don't understand how it hurts to publicize a different way of fundraising
and work. It is just a bonus if someone applies. I believe it was you
yourself that admitted that you would consider bounties if they were
attractive enough - so make them attractive enough. Only Haiku Inc. can
make these decisions.

--
Karl vom Dorff
BScH Biology (German Minor)