[haiku-inc] Typo domain squatter infringes our trademark and copyright

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:18:31 -0700

It came to our attention a few days ago that an individual who
apparently resides in Russia has decided to purchase a typo'd version
of our haiku-os.org domain (hint: without the hyphen), and then
attempt to extort $250 from us in order to purchase it from him.

Apparently when he got no response (he tried to post to this very list
without subscribing, and thus his email landed in the moderation
queue), he decided to cross the line and start infringing our
trademarks and copyrighted content. We are keeping visual evidence of
this infringement in the event that we need to fight this directly.

This message is simply to convey to everyone that we are aware of the
problem, are already seeking to resolve it, and have no intentions to
purchase typo'd versions of our domain to prevent squatters.

Also, we ask that you please refrain from posting links to this
individual's domain in public locations to prevent it from being
associated with the project.

Thanks,

Urias McCullough