[haiku-inc] Re: Selling Haiku goods at the RMLL

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 23:29:01 +0000

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 22:38, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In general, I personally do want to increase the availability of TM'd
>> goods ... my concerns is making sure that the NPO stays in the clear.
>>
>> For instance the person who helped with some of the IRS forms has
>> mentioned that soliciting donations or selling goods in-the-flesh can
>> cause the NPO to somehow register/report/etc with the local
>> government
>> for taxation purposes or something to that effect. It's still a fuzzy
>> concept to me. What and how to go about this ... well, idunno.
>
> It can probably be handled by HSA instead.

These are some unpolished thoughts ...

Basically it'd be a two-part system.
 - Haiku, Inc. having a marketing expense (the purchase of those goods)
 - Authorizing HSA to manage the resale of those physical goods with TM

As with any marketing expense, you guys can present what you want (graphic
design, type of goods, quantity, from which vendor) and the NPO would front
the funds for it (or reimburse, whichever is easier).

For authorizing HSA, the permission would be limited to selling those goods
(as opposed to creating new goods for sale) at conferences where Haiku is
being presented. Their responsibilities would include taking care of any
taxation and other legal issues surrounding the sales of goods, the collection
of monies, and distribution of said funds (ideally for reimbursing those and
future conferences).

This usage does not provide any additional usage permissions with
respect to the HAIKU logo and other trademarks.

Does this sound like it'd work out? Anything I'm overlooking?

--mmadia