[haiku-inc] New Donation Tool: Kickstarter.com

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc <haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:06:08 +0000

Earlier in the month, I signed up for a donation site called
Kickstarter.com (thanks to Xeon3D for nudging me about it).  Basically
it allows an 'all-or-nothing' style of fundraising.

People pledge $X amount. Those pledges will become actual monetary
transactions *only if* the fundraising goal is reached (or exceeded)
in Y amount of time.  If that time period expires before the goal is
reached, no money is donated.

This allows us to think big in terms of who and how much for a single
contract and more importantly it gives the donors the confidence in
knowing "my lump of cash will help fund this item".

The only downside is that Kickstarter skims about 5% off the very
top.Then there's the typical fees associated with AmazonPayments ...
so, we'd need to inflate the desired amount by 10% to compensate.

So far, we haven't tested it out as the site is "in Beta and the
ability to start projects is limited."
This might be a way to organize a big fundraiser for several
development contracts at once.

Thoughts?

--mmadia