[haiku-inc] More TM Policy ideas from other orgs, Ideas on selling TM goods

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 11:21:32 -0400

'lo all,

Earlier in the weekend, aldeck talked with me about some possibilities
with the TM policy. Here's some of the ideas :

TM Policies:
  Debian : http://www.debian.org/trademark
  Red Hat : http://www.redhat.com/about/companyprofile/trademark
  Ubuntu : http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy
  Software Freedom Law Center's sample :
http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2008/foss-primer.html#x1-700005.6

To note, so far i've only looked into Debian -- so, this is in no way
a bias against the other groups.

An interesting tidbit: back in 2003, Debian announced that their
current policy is
{{{
        neither well known enough, clear enough, complete enough, or legally
enforceable.
        A better policy is therefore needed.
}}}
The two drafted policies are linked under a "Work in Progess" section
on their page.
In other words, I find it comforting that their is a larger & well
established organization who also has some work to sort out on their
TM policies. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/10/msg00003.html

At least one of Debian's WIP TM policies makes mention of having
dual-trademarks. One logo that has the typical restrictions and is
intended for official use only and a secondary mark with a much more
permissive MIT-like usage policy. This would be perfect, as it
preserves our beautiful HAIKU logo and provides HUGs (and anyone else)
the ability to create derivative graphics for their website and other
bits.   http://wiki.debian.org/ProposedTrademarkPolicy

I guess in this upcoming week, I'll analyze those TM policies to
summarize each of them.
Hopefully this'll encourage more people to learn the basics of them
and to comment on which aspects would be nice to have or not.

As we know, we're currently limited with CafePress -- eg they've only
shops in the US & UK.
Realistically, purchasing goods from them simply isn't worth for
people elsewhere.

Debian even has some nice ideas on selling Trademarked goods.
Basically, they let many 3rd party *businesses* to sell goods -- both
CD/DVD and other hard goods.
I'm not yet sure of all the details of the process -- eg, are there
min/max guidelines, is there a pool of graphics for the vendors to
choose from, what freedom the vendors have with altering/modifying the
graphics.
But there seems to be a free-market aspect, a suggestion from Debian
to use vendors that allow the user to pay extra money (which becomes a
donation to Debian), and the promise that companies who receive
service complaints will be removed from Debian's page.
  http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/
  http://www.debian.org/misc/merchandise

WIP policy:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/WorkInProgress/HaikuTrademarkPolicy