[haiku-inc] Mirror servers?

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 16:09:09 -0500

Good afternoon!

The new servers hosting the nightly images can be extremely spotty speed-wise in the USA. We see users getting 10KB/s (me) - 100KB/s (Urias) who used to get 600KB/s+ when the nightlies were on haiku-files.

Have we throught about setting up some mirror servers?

https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=d6d348e3b452 offers KVM virtual machines with SSD disks in multiple locations around the world including New York, Amsterdam, London, Singapore. and San Francisco.

$5 USD/mo per machine would get us:
512MB / 1 CPU 20GB SSD Disk 1TB Transfer per month

$10 USD/mo per machine would get us:
 1GB / 1 CPU 30GB SSD Disk 2TB Transfer per month

For $20 / month we could have multiple mirrors all over the world for nightly images and releases.

 -- Alex