[haiku-inc] Re: Have Haiku, Inc sign the SecureBoot petition?

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 00:45:57 -0600

On 2012-12-29 00:35, Urias McCullough wrote:
On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Alexander von Gluck
<kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/corp-org-signers

Seems if we sign onto the petition we get some nice advertising for Haiku.

Thoughts?   SecureBoot impacts us as well.
How I understand it, the Windows 8 UEFI machines won't allow
traditional MBR-style booting. (we would need a signed key from Microsoft)

Looks like a few of us have already signed this personally ;)

FWIW, the text of the statement is as follows:

"We, the undersigned, urge all computer makers implementing UEFI's
so-called "Secure Boot" to do it in a way that allows free software
operating systems to be installed. To respect user freedom and truly
protect user security, manufacturers must either allow computer owners
to disable the boot restrictions, or provide a sure-fire way for them
to install and run a free software operating system of their choice.
We commit that we will neither purchase nor recommend computers that
strip users of this critical freedom, and we will actively urge people
in our communities to avoid such jailed systems."

Which seems pretty reasonable, and applicable to Haiku - so I would
support this from a Haiku project perspective.

Since you're requesting that Haiku, Inc. sign on behalf of the
project, perhaps this is better suited for the development list.
Haiku, Inc. supports the project after all, and thus should probably
align with the wishes of the project contributors on such a statement.

- Urias

I'll send the email now :)