[haiku-inc] Re: Haiku's social media accounts

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 15:30:19 +0100

Hi,

On 2014-11-09 at 14:55:07 [+0100], Richie Nyhus <richienyhus@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > In my opinion,
> > it would be a mistake to let such software, over which we have no
> > control, constitute a part of our base infrastructure.
>
> It is basicly just the enterprise version of the likes of Gmail, Hangouts,
> Calendar, Google+, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Forms, Slides, Youtube, Analytics
> and free limited use of AdWords.
>
> It is more complimentary than a replacement for anything.

I believe luroh was refering to the list of development related tools (i.e.
code review tools and issue trackers), which contained quite a number of
free-for-non-profits software, too.

And I would like to second his notion - always take those offers with a
grain of salt (as everyone knows: there's no such thing as a free lunch).

For me, the danger in those tools can be that they might not be available
in source, so we have no way of adjusting them. While I'm not convinced
that having access to a tool's source code will always enable us to adjust
the tool as we'd need to, my experience tells me that getting ar
free-as-free-beer software vendor to listen to our wishes is much less
likely.

cheers,
        Oliver