[haiku-inc] Re: Haiku ITS Logo (is it violating trademark policy?)

  • From: Disreali <mdisreali@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 13:23:27 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 10/31/11, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I do strongly suggest that Haiku, Inc. adopts one or
> >> more "secondary mark" for identifying community-based
> >> projects/websites in a way that makes it obvious
> >> that they are involved in the project from a
> >> community perspective, while at the same time
> >> indicating that they are unofficial. I have already
> >> mentioned this a few times as it relates to
> >> "distributions" of Haiku.
> >
> > I agree with that, but how a secondary mark can avoid
> > confusions? I mean, at a first impression also that
> > secondary style can make confusion.
>
> I believe by secondary mark, Urias means something similar
> to the Mozilla Communities logo™ --
> http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/list.html.
> Where is is visually distinct from Mozilla's primary
> trademark logos (Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.), but still
> shares a similar theme that assists people in associating
> a non mozilla.org site as part of the larger Mozilla community.
>
> Originally, I had hoped that the HAIKU Leaf and HAIKU
> Background Leaf would help create a secondary mark --
> especially with the more liberal acceptable usage.
> http://www.haiku-inc.org/trademarks.html

I found the post I to which I earlier referred.

//www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Haiku-User-Group-Logo-What-is-wanted
(Unfortunately, the images are not a stored by freelist.)

Would they be an acceptable "second mark"?

Matt, Would you be willing to have HUG's use the images that you originally
attached to that post?  If so, it might be best to have them on the Haiku Inc
site for download.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?