[haiku-inc] Re: Haiku, HSA : Thinking about granting HSA permission to resell some tshirts

  • From: "Charlie Clark" <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 22:17:40 +0200

Am 08.06.2010, 22:03 Uhr, schrieb Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>:

Matt asked me (and Stephan) about this:

"""
These are some unpolished thoughts ...

Basically it'd be a two-part system.
 - Haiku, Inc. having a marketing expense (the purchase of those goods)
 - Authorizing HSA to manage the resale of those physical goods with TM

As with any marketing expense, you guys can present what you want (graphic
design, type of goods, quantity, from which vendor) and the NPO would front
the funds for it (or reimburse, whichever is easier).

For authorizing HSA, the permission would be limited to selling those goods
(as opposed to creating new goods for sale) at conferences where Haiku is
being presented. Their responsibilities would include taking care of any
taxation and other legal issues surrounding the sales of goods, the collection of monies, and distribution of said funds (ideally for reimbursing those and
future conferences).

This usage does not provide any additional usage permissions with
respect to the HAIKU logo and other trademarks.

Does this sound like it'd work out? Anything I'm overlooking?
"""

The HSA is fine for this and François is a member. On the issue of funding, as previously discussed I don't agree with tying it to specific projects - all of what we do is about promoting and supporting Haiku - but in practice this is unlikely to be an issue. As we are not NPO we don't have to worry about jumping through hoop about how we raise money and what we spend it on - sex, drugs and rock'n'roll as everyone knows.

I would like us to be able to have greater licence to use the logo and other trademarks but I'm scratching my head as to whether we are likely to come up with any materials which wouldn't be directly available for Haiku Inc.

Charlie (I'm not subscribed to the list)
--
Charlie Clark
Helmholtzstr. 20