[haiku-inc] Contract Proposal: WebKit / WebPositive

  • From: Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 22:43:47 +0200

Greetings,
I currently have the possibility to work on Haiku full-time for a month at least. I'd like to work on the WebKit port and, if time allows, WebPositive. Good web support is something crucial for any operating system these days, it is for some users the main software they will use on a computer and one of the first things a new user will try on Haiku. To summarize, Haiku has to provide the best web experience possible and i believe i can help to go in that direction. I propose to work 160 hours during one month for 2000€ ($2544 currently)

The plan would be to :

* Bring our WebKit port up to date, it is approximately 2 years and 70000 revisions behind and has grown and changed a lot. I believe this part will take most of my time. During this phase i'll also try to make our port easier to manage and update next time.

* Bringing our port up to date also means i'll test and update WebPositive so that it works at least as well as before.

* Depending on the remaining time, i'll fix bugs and bring new features to the WebKit port and WebPositive browser.

There are still lots of exciting things to do, like updating the network backend, use the V8 javascript engine, various WebPositive usability enhancements, making a public Haiku Web Kit API, HTML5 video etc... but i don't expect to have enough time for any of that and would love to propose another contract for that if everything goes well.

Hope to ear from you,
Best regards,
Alex