[haiku-inc] Contract Proposal: Package Management

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 00:12:29 +0200

Howdy,

I'm currently doing a bit of planning for the time after the next few months.
My current (for the money) project is estimated to end in October or November,
so that I'll have to start looking for a subsequent project soon. I think this
is an excellent opportunity to propose another package management related
contract.

The package management development has more or less lain dormant since last
year when Oliver and I had worked on it. In May I detailed on the development
mailing list what would be a reasonable approach for continuing the work [1].
Assuming that no one else starts working on it in the meantime, that would also
be my plan for the contract work. Should I finish with those steps before the
end of the contract there'll still be plenty of work to do. As mentioned in my
ML message, setting up remote repositories and extending pkgman to support
installing from them would be another step. Implementing the package management
daemon and its interactions with packagefs and pkgman is another sizable chunk
of work. Furthermore the build system must be adjusted to pull stuff from
repositories and deal with the optional build features (like ICU and OpenSSL)
that live in packages.

If all that is done there'll still be several unaddressed TODOs [2] left: Like
the build system having to identify files before packaging them, the expander
rules needing to be reorganized, the boot loader bootstrap issue. Oh, well, and
obviously the graphical package manager application.

My proposal is to work on package management roughly as outlined above
(adjusting the plan (mainly the order of steps) as I see fit) for two periods
of 160 work hours each (i.e. more or less the equivalent of two full-time
months, though not necessarily on a full-time schedule) for 2000 Euros each, to
be paid after the completion of each period.

As mentioned above the exact end date for my current project isn't fixed yet,
so I can't give an exact date when I could start the proposed contract work.
ATM things are looking good on my end, but I can't rule out any unexpected
events that might add a few more months. In the worst case it might even
collide with an extended vacation I was hoping to go on in the first quarter of
2013, pushing the possible start date to March or even April.

Anyway, to keep things simple, I'd like to ask Haiku, Inc. to accept my
proposal under the condition that I'll start until December 1st.

CU, Ingo

[1] //www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/haiku-Package-Manager,2
[2] http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/PackageManagement/TODO