[haiku-i18n] Re: queries

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 17:27:24 +0100

Radek.gmail, on Sun, 13 Feb 2011 16:21:36 +0100:
> please can anyone explane, what does mean those "query" and "queries"
> option in BFS?
[..]
> Another problem, in those image translators, when is in string
> "ICOTranslator Settings", so this "ICOTranslator" is the Name of the
> application (so it's cannot be translate), or it is only name of
> program
> kind?

Queries, like Translators, are a kind of Haiku concept that you'll have
to decide to either take as a proper name or translate. For German, for
instance, we decided not to translate it for now.

Queries are a kind of search, but it only works on file attributes that
additionally have to be indexed. So, "Search" doesn't totally fit. See
the user guide for more info at
http://haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/queries.html.
Maybe someday we'll get a more general search that additionally allows
indexed contents searches. Then at least the enduser doesn't have to be
troubled with the special term "Query".

Translators are the concept that any program can in/output any kind of
suitable format for which a Translator is installed. So, without
changes to the app, you were suddenly be able to import WepP images
when the Wep-Translator was recently added.
Again, if you translate it or not is your decision.
We tended to keep the original names, because a) Germans normally
easily adopt to Englich terms, esp. if they are new, have no
established German equivalent and don't sound to dumb... Plus b), it's
easier to find your way through the file system where you encounter
these names.

Regards,
Humdinger

      Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette