[haiku-i18n] Re: i18n wiki pages

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 09:01:33 +0300

Hi,

2012.09.07 19:27, Humdinger rašė:
On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 18:07:07 +0200 Rimas Kudelis wrote:
Doing that in a centralized fashion would probably not be the best
way
to spend resources, but this should probably be encouraged.
I don't think having some languages use the "xx_XX" page and some the
"xx_XX/Info" page is desireable. Since it's just a URL and most people
either bookmark it or follow a link, it's not a big issue. Having it
consistent, however, has the advantage that you could quickly peak into
another languages page by quickly editing the URL in the browser's
locator. Having the underlying URL-schema change culd be frustrating.

Well, having more and more languages using the 'better' schema would encourage other languages to start using that too, IMO. :) OTOH, I think that even migrating all languages at once wouldn't be that big of a task.

Also, I would encourage to use just xx instead of xx_XX as a language
code where possible. Now there are two reasons to move. ;)
The same applies here. Always using "xx_XX" will be forward-compatible
if a new version of a language is added.

I'm not buying this argument, because "xx" is also forwards-compatible. There are only a few languages (like Chinese), where 'xx' does not exist. All others usually have a "base dialect", which we would use "xx" for, and "xx_XX" would be available for any regional variants one could think of. Furthermore, lots of languages don't even have more than one variant, in those cases "_XX" is actually redundant. In general, I think the language codes on wiki should correspond to the codes as in Haiku itself.

Rimas