[haiku-i18n] Re: heads up!

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 16:38:18 +0100

Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> Hi Jonas!

> Jonas Sundström, Thu, 17 Mar 2011 14:37:20 +0100:
> > I'm working on a lot of changes in the source of Haiku related to
> > displaying localized application and folder names in Deskbar,
> > Tracker and other parts of Haiku. This is work in progress.
>
> Besides the About windows, the app-name sometimes also appears as
> window title or in a settings panel or alert or file dialog, e.g. in
> Expander, Mail, PowerStatus.

Those are on on my radar. They're easy to miss though.

I think the Open/Save panels are fixed already, at least for apps.
I'm not aware of any add-ons using file panels, but that needs to
be accounted for. Localization of add-ons needs additional work.

> The Installer also references DriveSetup and "Boot Manager"
> as external programs. Do you have those occurances
> on your radar, too? Is it all the relatively simple change to
> use B_TRANSLATE_APP_NAME in these places as well?

Basically yes. The surrounding code needs to be changed sometimes,
and sometimes also the strings.

> In the Installer case too?

Providing the translated name of -another- application
the system needs three things:

The other app's entry-ref OR its
- signature "e.g. x-vnd.Haiku-BootManager"
- context "Application name"
- string "BootManager"

I'll have to look over the B_TRANSLATE macros,
find a suitable one, or create some way to get this.

Btw, I'm planning a BLocaleRoster::GetLocalizedName(
entry_ref& ref, BString& string) like the one used internally
in Tracker, which will let e.g. DataTranslations, Printers and
Screensavers present localized names for add-ons.

> Lastly, would you like help with that or do you prefer to work through
> it yourself (maybe seeing other stuff that could be improved along
> the
> way)?

If it's okay I'd like to work on it alone for a while.

I should create a wiki page for the roadmap/progress.

BTW, Deskbar's "recent" menus are not done.

I spent some time on this HTA commit script of mine. :P

/Jonas