[haiku-i18n] Sync'ing HTA and user guide

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "i18n" <haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 18:43:54 +0200

Hi everyone!

Now that the HTA is back online and PulkoMandy is perfecting the Locale
kit and it looks like localization has become a definite feature of R1,
it's time to focus more on localization and then updating the user
guide to use localized menu and button names and screenshots etc.

To do this, we need a solid as possible localization at HTA. There's
enough work to keep the user guide up-to-date with the regular changes
in applications without dealing with constantly changing string
translations.
The problem is, that anyone can log into HTA and
change/delete/approve/invalidate strings. This makes it a target for
mischief as well as a constantly moving one with regard to the user
guide.

We need some sort of control. While we should probably keep the "anyone
can log in and translate" approach, I think approving and invalidating
strings should be limited to specific roles, like a language manager
and his "deputies".
They can discuss things before approving and should do so when
invalidating an already approved term and make sure the user guide is
kept in sync with these changes.

This needs some kind of role management on the HTA site. Is that
possible, Travis? I think it's really a requirement.

[BTW: Ultimately cool would be a linking of the User Guide Translation
site and HTA. If we could tie something like the name of a menu item
directly to the translated string at HTA, so when the HTA string
changes, it also changes in the user guide... Utopia? :)]

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de