[haiku-i18n] Re: Restricting write access to HTA

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:41:47 +0100

Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Travis D. Reed, Sat, 19 Mar 2011 19:32:00 -0500:
> > All translations must be approved by a language manager
> > before getting into svn. What prompts your paranoia?
> Slowly all your green catalogs become incomplete and
> someone has to crawl through it all and compare every
> altered string with the catkey in the SVN and change
> it all back.

I understand your concern, Humdinger.

In the event of a sabotage the committer has some means of reverting
to an older set of the catkeys files, which I assume in turn also
rolls back HTA. Is that correct, Travis?

I think the set of uncommitted strings on HTA are then lost, unless
someone takes the time to go through them, replacing the bad ones.

I'd rather not have to do this work. If this can be avoided by
forcing translators to log in to HTA, that would be preferred, IMO.

It doesn't protect against trusted translators gone rouge, but it
does guard against e.g. Basque separatist messing up the Spanish
strings, or Palestine/Israel, or some immature person going on a
rampage replacing strings with obscenities just for fun.

(If there wasn't this pootle thing on the horizon I would suggest
making HTA a revisioned repository with a history of its own,
where the language manager could roll back changes done in HTA,
and have some means to follow the work per user.)

/Jonas