[haiku-i18n] Re: Renaming strings in the source

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 11:18:02 +0100

Hi Rimas!

Rimas Kudelis, Sat, 26 Mar 2011 11:57:18 +0200:
> > "Remove and put to Trash" ->  "Remove and move to Trash"
>
> IMO, "Remove and move" doesn't sound well.

I don't think it's that bad. And it's consistent with any other place
that doesn't happen to have a "Remove" in front of it.

> > One more thing: Apps sometimes use single quotes ('%s'), sometimes
> > escaped double quotes (\"%s\") when displaying a file name or path
> > etc.
> > I think we should come to a consistent presentation.
>
> I would suggest curly quotes (no need to escape them!), but using
> Italic, as suggested by Patrik is also a nice idea.

The escaping wouldn't be so bad, but I'm also in favour of single
quotes; with double quotes I associate a quotation of more than a
couple of words.

Patrik Gissberg, Sat, 26 Mar 2011 10:45:50 +0100:
> I've also noted that quotes are used when not needed. Quotes should
> only
> be used when the string quoted can contain space characters. I'd
> preferred to use italic instead of quotes.

The quote I mean are like in DriveSetup:
> > > All data on the partition %s will be irretrievably lost if you do
> > > so!
or
> > > Are you sure you want to initialize the partition \"%s\"?

In the first example the quotes are missing completely! Which is even
worse when the partition name consists of more than one word or isn't
capitalized.

Using italics is currently out of the question or you'd have to spring
through quite a few hoops for every BString to use different font
styles, I'd say.

Regards,
Humdinger

      Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette