[haiku-i18n] Renaming strings in the source

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "i18n" <haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 10:32:36 +0100

Hi there,

while helping with the German localization, I noticed a few strings
that could be improved in the English source. I am aware that changes
there are propagated to all translation, which will have to be upated.
This shouldn't stop us from improving Haiku, however.
So, I'll put this out here for everyone to chime in if they agree to
these changes or further improve them.

ActivityMonitor:
"raw clipboard size"
"text clipboard size"
-> "size" isn't essentially needed and often gets truncated in the GUI.
Best to call it in the display just "raw clipboard" and maybe add a
unit to it (like bytes).

Zip-O-Matic:
"Drop files to zip." -> "Drop files to archive here."

Workspaces:
"Show window title" -> "Show title tab"

Touchpad:
"Scroll acceleration" -> "Acceleration"
"Horizontal scroll speed" -> "Horizontal speed"
"Vertical scroll speed" -> "Vertical speed"
 - it's all already in the "Scrolling" box.

"Tap gesture" -> "Tapping"
"Tab click sensitivity" -> "Sensitivity"
 - "Tapping" box named just like "Scrolling" box

StyledEdit:
"Clear" -> "Delete"
 - deletes the selected text.
"Replace same" -> "Replace next"
- otherwise you could think that _all_ search-strings will be replaced
instead of just the one found next.

MediaPlayer:
- Settings:
"when done" -> "after"
"movies" -> "video"
"sounds" -> "audio"
"by default" -> remove
"Scale controls in full-screen mode" -> "Scale controls in full screen
mode"
consistence with menu item.
- Playlist:
"Remove and put to Trash" -> "Remove and move to Trash"
consistence with Tracker's menu item.
Put the "Remove all" item under "Remove".

So, it's not too much after all... :)
If others have gripes, too, maybe we could discuss those in this thread
as well, after dealing with this first batch.

One more thing: Apps sometimes use single quotes ('%s'), sometimes
escaped double quotes (\"%s\") when displaying a file name or path etc.
I think we should come to a consistent presentation.

Thanks!
Regards,
Humdinger

      Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette