[haiku-i18n] Optimizing PNG for localized screenshots

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-i18n <haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 10:49:39 +0100

Hi everyone!

I'm looking over the German translation to update some screenshots
with a localized version. Sometimes I also change the one for the
English version if there were significant visual changes.

Maybe a few of you do the same for your translation. I'd like to point
out, that if you do your work under Haiku (and why wouldn't you,
WonderBrush is quite brilliant for this), the exported PNG images are
not optimized. Graphics apps on other platforms do this normally
automatically.

Anyway, I'd urge you to use the commandline "optipng -o5 *.png" before
uploading your PNGs. It'll save about 20-25% of the filesize, which is
significant if you consider the number of translations we have.

Until the package hits HaikuDepot, I have uploaded the haikuportered
hpkg to my dropbox [1].

Also, please make sure to crop exactly and not use white as background
of windows (e.g. to the right of tab or between windows) but
transparency. In WonderBrush that's most easily done by e.g. bucket
fill or creating a filled rectangle and choose "Erase" as "Mode" under
"Property".

Regards,
Humdinger

[1] https://db.tt/NISptncqw