[haiku-i18n] Re: Language code for zh_hans Fwd: Catkeys update from HTA wanted?

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 23:11:49 +0100

What would be more preferred. Use the dash? Or an underscore? Perhaps
we can use the dash in this case because there is no relation between
the zh-Hans and zh.

  And capitalization, should we use the ISO version? so zh-Hans? Or
shall we capitalize it completely, like pt_BR?

Don't mix them. pt_BR is portuguese, variant spoken in brazil.
zh-Hans and zh-Hant are, for localization purposes, entirely different langages. (they read the same, but use different alphabets). Another example of that would be the two writings of norwegian - nynorsk and bokmal (I hope I get the spelling right...).

The result is that there is no 'zh' language at all. It's either zh-Hans or zh-Hant. Go with ISO, and that should be fine as it's also what ICU uses ?

--
Adrien.