[haiku-i18n] Re: Hosting more catalogs in Pootle

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 17:30:22 +0200

hi,

2011.12.06 15:45, Niels Sascha Reedijk rašė:
On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Rimas Kudelis<rq@xxxxxx>  wrote:
2011.12.02 22:24, Niels Sascha Reedijk rašė:

2011/12/2 Rimas Kudelis<rq@xxxxxx>:
Hi,
I was thinking: would it be possible and welcome to host not just our
internal catalogs in Pootle, but also a few external ones? Things that
come
to mind first in this case are Web+ and Vision.
Sure, what would be the criterium though? Whether or not they are
Optional Packages?

as long as there isn't much software for Haiku available, I would suggest to
accept every app that its maintainers would want translated, initially
starting with all optional packages. Every external app could be a separate
project in Pootle, or there could be one project for apps available in
installoptionalpackage and another for all other apps, or there could be one
project for installoptionalpackage apps and separate projects for every
other app.
Let's have two 'projects' then: optionalpackages and additional
translations. This is to help translation teams in getting their
priorities in shape.

+1

I guess the biggest problem lies in:
1) making it easy for maintainers of those packages to get translations from
Pootle
2) making it easy to get updated templates into Pootle

For the first problem, maybe it would make sense to have a separate
repository for that purpose? Some automatic script (or you, Niels) could
upload all translations of 3rd party apps there, and the app maintainers
could sync from there.

Now the second problem could be solved by giving appropriate people the
appropriate rights on that repo, so that they could upload en.catkeys files
themselves. OR, it could be solved by a script that syncs each upstream
repository separately. I don't know which one sounds better...
I'd suggest giving package maintainers the possibility to upload and
download their templates. They can then decide how to get their
packages translated.

Agreed. I kind of forgot about that possibility. :)

So, what's the next step? How do we proceed?

Rimas