[haiku-i18n] Re: Hosting more catalogs in Pootle

  • From: Niels Sascha Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 14:45:11 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2011.12.02 22:24, Niels Sascha Reedijk rašė:
>
>> 2011/12/2 Rimas Kudelis<rq@xxxxxx>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I was thinking: would it be possible and welcome to host not just our
>>> internal catalogs in Pootle, but also a few external ones? Things that
>>> come
>>> to mind first in this case are Web+ and Vision.
>>
>> Sure, what would be the criterium though? Whether or not they are
>> Optional Packages?
>

> as long as there isn't much software for Haiku available, I would suggest to
> accept every app that its maintainers would want translated, initially
> starting with all optional packages. Every external app could be a separate
> project in Pootle, or there could be one project for apps available in
> installoptionalpackage and another for all other apps, or there could be one
> project for installoptionalpackage apps and separate projects for every
> other app.

Let's have two 'projects' then: optionalpackages and additional
translations. This is to help translation teams in getting their
priorities in shape.

> I guess the biggest problem lies in:
> 1) making it easy for maintainers of those packages to get translations from
> Pootle
> 2) making it easy to get updated templates into Pootle
>
> For the first problem, maybe it would make sense to have a separate
> repository for that purpose? Some automatic script (or you, Niels) could
> upload all translations of 3rd party apps there, and the app maintainers
> could sync from there.
>
> Now the second problem could be solved by giving appropriate people the
> appropriate rights on that repo, so that they could upload en.catkeys files
> themselves. OR, it could be solved by a script that syncs each upstream
> repository separately. I don't know which one sounds better...

I'd suggest giving package maintainers the possibility to upload and
download their templates. They can then decide how to get their
packages translated.

Regards,