[haiku-i18n] Re: Hosting more catalogs in Pootle

  • From: Niels Sascha Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 16:58:55 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx> wrote:
> 2011.12.06 17:44, Niels Sascha Reedijk rašė:
>
>> Hi,

>>> I suppose one stumbling block might be the need to have these apps first
>>> updated to use layout management so that the text look ok when
>>> translated.
>>> So first step would be to put together a list of possible apps and id
>>> which
>>> ones need what done to them, and perhaps contact with the author(s).
>>> Some
>>> might be easy to convert, other may be more of a challenge.  I'm sure
>>> patches would be welcome.
>>> Once that is done then we can proceed how we've done for apps in Haiku.
>>
>> I feel that our role is more facilitating than actively looking out
>> for opportunities. I prefer to see our energy going to finding ways of
>> migrating away from the userguide translator in favour of Pootle, and
>> test all that comes into play there.
>>
>> Getting 3rd party apps translated by our translation teams is more a
>> job for their respective developers.
>

> How about adding at least those that use haiku's L10n framework already and
> are supplied as optional packages or commonly used? Again, Vision comes to
> mind, as well as Web+. BePDF would be a good candidate too, but I checked
> its source and it seems to be using its own L10n mechanism and Santa's gift
> bag (for layout, I guess).

I am against adding those ourselves. We need the involvement of the
developer to make sure that the translation templates are up to date
and the translations are used. Of course: if the developers come up to
me now and say: hey, I want to get started, then sure. Feel free to
inform them of the possibility, but that's all that should come from
our side, IMO of course.