[haiku-gsoc] Re: some questions about haiku kernel

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-gsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 17:53:27 +0200

On 10.05.2012 17:39, Yongcong Du wrote:
I need your help for the following issues:
1. From userspace, How can I know how one interrupt is triggered? I know
I can get the information in KDL, but it's not convenient from userspace.

Currently, there is no such mechanism. The best way to change this is IMO to extend the get_system_info_etc() syscall, see src/system/kernel/system_info.cpp

2. why do we add the quantumTimer in reschedule() in
scheduler_simple_smp.cpp? IOW what's reschedule_event() used for? The
timer causes the reschedule() be called unnecessarily. For example,
oldThread and nextThread are both then idle thread most time if the
system is idle. And another impact of the timer is that the timer
interrupt number is too high.

I find that If I remove the timer, the system behavior is as good as
before, but the timer interrupt number is reduced a lot.

I assume you mean if you remove the timer in case of the idle thread only?

Bye,
   Axel.