[haiku-gsoc] Re: Uniquely Identifying a Volume

  • From: Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-gsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 12:46:06 -0500

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Axel Dörfler<axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> BFS does not provide UUIDs, and our API also does not allow reading out
> the UUID of file systems that support this. I would guess this is
> something we can improve in the future :-)
> Tracker has a similar problem when it detects which volume belongs to
> which set of windows to reopen. It uses an heuristic for this, see src/
> kits/tracker/Utilities.cpp, line 985ff (MatchArchivedVolume()). Maybe
> you can reuse this approach.

Would it perhaps be simpler to just store the index belonging to a
given volume on that volume? This sidesteps the current issue
entirely, and also would make transferring a volume to another Haiku
system "plug and play" in that the daemon could simply use the index
already present on that volume transparently.

Regards,

Rene