[haiku-gsoc] Re: Status update

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-gsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:19:17 +0200

Salvatore Benedetto wrote:
> Hi there "colleagues"! :-)
>
> so the first month is almost gone, and I was wondering how is everybody
> doing? Haiku have up to 9 students this year, so something really
> interesting should come up this year.
>
> I know June is the least productive month for every student, due to
> college duties
> (I'm the first who couldn't work as much as I would), but something must
> have been happened! :-)
>
> Any status updates from every project either from students or mentor?

I am excited to report that Andrej is making great progress with the
Subpixel Anti-Aliased Font Rendering project. As a natural first step, he
concentrated on untransformed, bitmap-cached text - and got it working
well! After he sent me his code, we had a long IRC session last Monday
about his work so far, how to proceed and how to deal with the current
problems of the implementation. Yesterday I received a mail that he has
already implemented the immediate steps we discussed. I suggested to him to
write about his progress in a blog post, so that we can all share in the
optimistic excitement. I would like to wait with screenshots for his
eventual blogpost, as he should be the one to present these exciting news.
:-)

As for the technical status of his project, my opinion is that Andrej has
approached it just right. He got to the point of a clearly working first
implementation which deals with the underlying problems and now it is a
matter of thinking about how to transform the code in such a manner that
the sub-pixel rendering becomes available to the generic vector pipelines
in the app_server, which would also mean transformed text. In our IRC
session, we have already established quite a good understanding of how this
should be done. Either as intermediate step or as the finishing touches to
his work,  the Font preflet or the Appearance preflet would need to be
adjusted to offer turning sub-pixel rendering on or off.

Best regards,
-Stephan