[haiku-gsoc] Re: Rendering of Indic Languages in Haiku

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-gsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 10:25:41 +0200

Hi,

Am 19.05.2017 um 09:54 schrieb digib0y:

    I just realized that we forgot in your project proposal that
    BTextView needs adjustments for the cursor navigation and selection
    to handle clusters properly.

What adjustments exactly? I read about BTextView and I personally I
think it works the way it should. Please tell me more about it.

I am almost sure that BTextView caret positioning works on the "character" level. Which should be wrong if multiple characters are needed to encode a single "glyph".

You demonstrate this well in your video. I mean to say that if you change the text rendering to use shaping, BTextView would still allow to position the text cursor inbetween two characters which are actually combined by shaping.

In other text layout APIs, there are usually methods to know the "next" and "previous" possible caret position from a given position. We would need to offer the same and make BTextView use it.

Also, just after post we need to start working on the application. I
will require you help. I went through the application you suggested also
I have found one which uses ICU.

https://github.com/tangrams/harfbuzz-example

Can you please check and then we can decide which one to work on?

Sure, no problem.

Best regards,
-Stephan