[haiku-gsoc] Re: [HCD] ICMP errors handling & propagation project

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-gsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:51:32 +0200

Hi,

Yin Qiu wrote:
> Okay, here is my plan in the following week:
> 1. To set up a development environment. About a month ago, I noticed a
> developer-version VMware image was posted in the openbeos mailing list.
> It contained necessary compiler suite. Can I just use that? Or what kind
> of environment are you using?

I would highly recommend to use a Linux or FreeBSD based build environment
and testing Haiku within VMWare. The "developer VMWare" image means you
would be developing in Haiku, and this may give you too many irritations to
your development process. Compiling in Linux is currently several orders
faster than compiling in Haiku and this means you have shorter compile-test
cycles. Booting Haiku inside VMWare is reasonably fast.

How to setup a Linux (Ubuntu) build environment is described here:

<http://www.haiku-os.org/documents/dev/building_haiku_on_ubuntu_linux_step_by_step>

Best regards,
-Stephan