[haiku-gsoc] Re: Do we ICU or do we not ICU?

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-gsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 10:43:11 +0200

2009/5/11 Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi there,
>
> Adrien/PulkoMandy has suggested to base parts of his work on the locale kit
> on ICU (International Components for Unicode, see icu-project.org).
>
> We (Adrien and me) have already talked a bit about the sheer size of the
> ICU-source (58 MB unpacked) to be a problem. The resulting libraries (that go
> into the haiku image) would be something around 15-17 MB. The majority of
> that is taken up by the locale data (collation information, character
> properties, charset conversion mappings, ...).
>
> Before importing such a beast into our repo, I thought it would be a good
> idea to discuss where we'd like to go with ICU. As far as I can remember,
> Adrien wants to use ICU for collation stuff and for the number & date
> formatting & parsing (Adrien: please expand on this, if you can).
> I know that we already had implemented some of that functionality in the
> locale kit, but I can't remember how much was there and what is still missing
> (Axel & Ingo: can you shed some light on this?).
>
> I suppose if we decide to import ICU into our repo, it would make sense to use
> it for required or existing services/APIs, i.e. to implement the POSIX locale
> stuff by means of ICU, to replace the current use of libiconv with ICU's
> respective charset conversion services, to make use of ICUs regexx engine as
> a basic service, ...
>
> There are many more features of ICU that could be used by haiku in the
> future, for instance the text/char iterator classes that could be used by
> BTextView to do proper wordwise navigation and word wrapping.
> There's even (font-engine agnostic) textlayout-engine for bringing the more
> complicated scripts on screen.
>
> I guess what I want to do with this mail is to get a discussion started about
> if using ICU makes sense at all and, if so, which parts are *required* for
> the locale kit and thus should be targeted first?
>
> Adrien, it would be very helpful if you could say something about your own
> ideas and correct/expand the stuff I wrote above.
>
> cheers,
>    Oliver

Hello,
I wanted to know what is the decision on this (if one has been made).
I have been working on the catalog translating part of my project, but
this part is now almost finished and I would like to know if I should
start messing with ICU build system, how would it be integrated
(piston, svn external, copy of the sources to haiku's repository,
other solution ?)

As I don't have svn commit acces, I think Oliver could take care of
setting up the import of ICU if it is done there. Then I could start
modifying it to get it built properly. This fisrt step integration
seems necessary for easier review of the subsequent pathes. You don't
want me to do it on my machine then send several megabytes of diff
files here...

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
Elève ingénieur ENSSAT EII1- www.enssat.fr