[haiku-doc] Re: i18n mailing lists now available

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 20:35:40 +0000

-- Dityo Nurasto, on Tue, 20 Oct 2009 01:25:43 +0700:

> Could you explain on what *style guide* is? what should I do with it
> and
> is there any master document that I can refer to?

There's only what I've posted in German. Basically, those are a few
simple rules to make the translation consistent between several guys
translating. It doesn't have to be too involved, as you have to respect
the original English, of course.

I basically put up 3 rules so far:

must be kept like in the original.

2. Decide on how to address the reader. Depending on your language,
that's either formal or informal, or using active or passive. Do
provide good/bad examples to illustrate exactly what you want.
As a guideline, the user guide is kind of an official document, so
don't be too colloquial. But also don't be too stiff. Haiku is fun
after all. :)

3. A list of common phrases and system specific vocabulary. This list
will grow over time. It get's easier when we have a wiki for this whole
"style guide". As examples, I have Favorites, Replicants and Workspaces
with their respective German translations (or when something should *
not* be translated).

Feel free to come up with more and better rules. If you think something
could be useful for any language, please post it on this docs list.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de