[haiku-doc] Re: Wanted: Translators for the User Guide

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 09:34:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi there!

Sorry for the delay. I have some health issues to deal with and only
gradually get back into the real and virtual world...

Luckily, I don't think there's too much need of me at the moment. We
should use the time until Vincent gets the site ready to discuss, among
the translators of the different languages, a minimal style guide for
each language.
Rule no. 1 in any language should be: Don't change the formatting. E.g.

Besides that, it's pretty much what style the translators agree upon.
In general, I think the user guide, being an official document, should
reflect a certain seriousness while still showing that it's written by
humans with a sense of humour and a passion for the system. The reader
can be anyone from your nerdy brother to your cranky mother-in-law. So,
be sure to address the reader appropriately...

It's useful to have a short example of a "Do" and "Don't" for a rule.
So you may want to add that.

Discussion language-specific issues should be done on-list, in your
native tongue if you want to, to have the process documented and leave
others who are not translators (yet) the opportunity to chime in.

Also, discuss who's to be the "language manager" for your translation
and who's his deputy in case he's otherwise occupied. The language
manager should monitor this list to welcome other translators for his
language and have a look at the translations of his collegues.
Especially in the beginning or with new translators there probably
needs to be some adjusting here and there to achieve a consistent
result.

Is there's anything else I've forgotten?

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de