[haiku-doc] Re: [VOTE] Re: User Guide translations requiring teams

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 09:56:04 -0700

Hi,

(2010?05?13? 06:24), Humdinger wrote:
-- Richie Nyhus, on Fri, 14 May 2010 00:05:36 +1200:
Aren't votes meant to (officially/unofficially?) have [Vote] as a
prefix in the subject line ?
i.e "[VOTE]: User Guide translations requiring teams"
Does it suffice to reuse this thread that has been prefixed with a
"[VOTE]"?

I don't care whether the vote takes place in a separate thread or if the [VOTE] prefix has attached to the subject or not. Those are "cosmetic" things that don't change the course of the vote.

I do care, though, about the way the voting choices are presented and would like for them to faithfully reflect the competing positions that lead to the vote.

There were two lines of thought proposed that lead to this vote:

1) Maintain the status quo and continue sticking to the rule that imposes having a two man team before allowing contributors can start translating. You articulated this position and its benefits here:

//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-doc/User-Guide-translations-requiring-teams

2) Adopt a more flexible policy, where a team approach is encouraged, but a solo effort is not rejected a priori. I explained the benefits of this position here:

//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-doc/User-Guide-translations-requiring-teams,1

Presenting the vote as only being in favor or against the status quo as you did does not fully convey what the proposed alternative actually entails, giving the impression that it is an all or nothing vote, when in reality the second choice is much more subtle than that.

So, if it's not too much to ask, can we restart this vote with the two choices properly displayed as shown above?

Thanks,

Jorge / aka Koki