[haiku-doc] User Guide translations requiring teams

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 11:09:25 +0200

Hello all.

As it was hinted at ever so subtly in another thread, there seems to be
doubt of the reason for the current procedure of only accepting
translation teams instead of individuals. I feel I should state my
opinion on the matter and hear yours. At the end we can have a vote, if
that is desired.

The pro for accepting individuals is that at the end of it, something
is in SVN, which is supposedly better than nothing. If one individual
quits, someone else might come along at some later time to carry on.

Certainly possible, but here's why I think a team approach is better in
the long run, even if getting started can be slower sometimes.

 * Continuity
A team that is working together on the style guide, the terminology and
discusses problems encountered on the way is much more robust when a
member gets replaced in the future. If one individual comes after
another, the style will vary much more as the individual is free to
adapt everything to her need. If the style guide is maintained at
all... If it's not, there'll soon be no consistency at all.

 * Quality through peer review
Besides the obvious, mistakes or improvements being pointed out, being
watched by your peers will motivate you to always find the best
solution. (Just to be clear, a "peer" is not any user that will at some
future time read the user guide.)

 * Probability of completing the task
With every member the probability of finishing and maintaining a
translation increases. It's no guarantee, of course.

 * Fun and solidarity
Working together is more fun than drudgeing on alone. It also
strengthens every member's bond to the (translation) project and has
them stick around for maintenance.

In my opinion these advantages of team work set off the risk of having
a translation at some later time. Or even never, if the contributing
user community speaking that language is so tiny that there are no 2
people being interested enough to form a team. Of course, others may
see this differently...

I'd appreciate if we could stick to discussing this ground rule without
special pleading or the old he-said-she-said.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de