[haiku-doc] Re: Translator

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:55:20 -0700

Hi Oscar,

Oscar Carballal Prego wrote:
Indeed is peculiar, from the "official" Spanish language there are this variants:

- Spanish from Spain (es_ES)
- Spanish from Mexico (es_MX)
- Spanish from Argentina (es_AR)

That must be in Spain only, because the official language in Argentina is Castillian (that's what we learn at school).

There is no such a thing as official Spanish language variants. Colloquially, live language varies depending on the region, not only across country borders, but within the same country too; but there is only one official Spanish language, and it is Castillian. Not trying to start an argument, but I thought I would clarify this. :)

And 16 variants more, not including the proper variants from Spain:

- Galician from Spain (es_GA)
- Catalan from Spain (es_CA)
- Basque (I don't know if it has a proper locale)

Ethymologically, Galician, Catalan and Basque are not variants of Castillian; they are actually languages of their own with different origins; for example, Galician has its roots in Portuguese, and even has its own "Galician Royal Academy". :)

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki