[haiku-doc] Re: System logging

  • From: "Niels Reedijk" <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 14:01:32 +0200

Hi Alan,

It's a good start, but I think it needs a bit more work. I've never
used system logging, so when I read these documents, the questions
that pop up should be similar to questions other developers might
have.

These are the points you/we need to think about (IMO), in a quite random order:
- The detailed description of syslog.h  (in syslog.dox) should refer
to the document you have adapted.
- The document you adapted from Axel misses a 'flow'. I think you
should write a introduction with a short list of subjects you will
treat.
- I still miss some sort of overview. You decided to cut the rest of
Axel's article, I think on the ground of duplication. I'm not sure I
agree. I think it would be quite helpful to keep the grouping in Team
functions and thread functions.
- Should you give a usecase?
- I'd keep the section on the differences, and the reference to the
posix logging. The last one is a nice 'conclusion'.

Questions (as a potential user of the docs):
- What's the difference between openlog(), openlog_team() and
openlog_thread()?  (same for other similarly named functions).
- In log_team() (and others), where can I find the priorities?
- The syslog(), log_thread() and log_team() functions have variable
arguments, what can I do with those? Which limitations does it have?
- This hooks in with other questions on this list, but are openlog()
and openlog_thread() the same?
- In openlog() there is a facility parameter. Where can I find the
facilities, and what should I do?
- The original document by Axels says only three openlog() options are
implemented, the header say that only one is unimplemented. Which is
right?
- How do I connect to the syslog_server and receive the messages?

I hope you (and others) can think some more on these questions and issues.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Niels