[haiku-doc] Submitting content for documentation

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku Documentation ML <haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 15:02:21 +0100

Hi all.

Up to now I simply sent diffs and PNGs to stippi who'd put it into SVN.
Now with a few translations of the User Guide / Welcome Package about to roll in, we should establish how to deal with contributions in a more structured way.

To avoid duplication, I suggest we use the bugtracker. This query would give a nice list who's working on what:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&group=reporter&reporter=~&component=^Documentation&order=priority&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone

We could decide on a standardized subject line to have all info at a glance,
e.g.
"it Userguide - Apps: StyledEdit, Showimage, CodyCam"   or
"en Userguide - Preferences: Media"
The first two letter specifying the language that's been worked on.
Or do you think we need have language categories added to Trac?

When the work on a ticket is finished, you attach the diff plus any images to it. For translations, a "*.en-version.{rxxxxxx}" file for every html is also attached to specify what version of the English original was used for the translation (or it was checked against at a later point).
Then add a "Please review and commit to the repository" comment to the ticket.

Of course, someone with write access has to monitor the commit-mailing list and do the actual SVN insertion. Normally, the commits are watched by enough devs, but if it turns out that docu submissions are often overlooked, we may need someone dedicated for that.
Let's see how it'll work out.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de