[haiku-doc] Re: Shortcut key mistake

  • From: Loïc <lagiraudiere@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 19:21:37 +0200

From: "Humdinger" on Monday, May 03, 2010 8:08 PM
-- Loïc, on Sun, 2 May 2010 19:39:16 +0200:
but on the left, <OPTION> is not at the good place, nor <CMD>
because if you have an old keyboard, you don't have the <COMMAND> key
=> that's why <COMMAND> and <OPTION> are inverted

so the good correspondances are :
<ALT> <=> <OPTION>
<window> <=> <COMMAND>

so
<ALT> <UP> should be written <OPTION> <UP>  in our user guide.
<ALT> <DOWN> should be written <OPTION> <DOWN>
but the good key for Openning the parent/selected folder are
<CMD> <UP>
<CMD> <DOWN>

Very slowly I'm beginning to think I get what you mean... :)
However, I don't think there's much we can do in the user guide, short
of replacing every <ALT> with <CMD>. But that would mean renaming every
menu shortcut like ALT+C to copy to CMD+C. That would confuse everyone,
because in every screenshot and in Haiku itself it's still called
ALT+C.
No you still mix <ALT> and <CMD>. <ALT> is not equivalent to <CMD>,
<ALT> is equivalent to <OPTION>
When you are in a tracker window, <ALT><UP> (or <OPTION> <UP> in haiku ) does not bring you to the parent folder, if try <ALT>(the right one)<UP> it doesn't work, because THIS precise shortcut is simply wrong the correct shortcup is <WINDOW><UP>(or <COMMAND> <UP> in Haiku)
(NB : if you want to test, you have to switch OPTION and COMMAND between
the <ALT> and <WINDOWS> on the left of your keyboard to restore the correct
mapping. i.e. both Alt key must have the same meaning)

-how confusing are these 2 f.....fliped key !
aren't they ?
(and so is my non native english ! )

I think it's better to consistently use
ALT for COMMAND
CRTL for CONTROL
OPT for OPTION
in the user guide and have the user make the mental translation to her
keymap, should she use Linux-mode (switching ALT<->CTRL) or using a
special keyboard with 102 keys.
If all fails, there's still the note on the shortcuts page to open
Keymap preferences and see which keys light up when keys on the
keyboard are pressed.

> From: "Humdinger"
> It's one thing I've proposed in the past, but for reasons I cannot
> remember [:)], didn't find much support: Instead of ALT and CRTL in
> e.
your proposition to replace the modifier keys'name by their PC's name
did not entounered much success because they can be different on
others
plateform. (MAC...)

Au contraire. I didn't propose to use the PC-names, but the function
they represent: CMD, CTRL and OPT will always generate the command,
control and option action, independently of what key on the keyboard
was matched to it.

??? sorry, there is something I don't understand...
do you prefer to see <ALT> or <OPTION> in the user guide ?
for my own I didn't ask to change anything. I just mean that i dreamed it's the same everywhere... however we must choose a solution or another, but not one here and the other there.

Yes, but on my french keyboard, <AltGr> <E> give <EURO> and <ALT> <E>
give <E> in Haiku the behavior is different, both give <EURO> .

Yes, but that's because your ALT key is apparently mapped to be OPT,
just like your AltGr key. Because of your old 102-key keyboard.
I have not an old 102-key keyboard, just the haiku keymap suitable for these keyboard, but this have nothing to do with the keymap issue.This is a different problem. (I shoud have post an other mail) I just ask to add to the user guide that Haiku can't make the distinction between ALT and AltGr.

There's a good chance I still don't get what you say... :)
I think so but I (and my english) gain all the credit !

thank you for your patience