[haiku-doc] Re: Saying 'Hi' and API docs

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 20:38:43 +0200

On 10/16/2011 08:17 AM, Humdinger wrote:
On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 20:18:34 +0200 you wrote:
If I wanted to help writing API documentation (the "Haiku Book") for
Haiku, how would I get started?
I hope others more knowledgable in that department can provide more
info here...

I'm afraid I don't really fall into that department either, but it's probably not easy to write accurate documentation if you don't know how the API works already.

In any way, I would choose a class (that lacks documentation ;-)), and either get someone to explain me what it does, or, if it was already part of the Be API, and is covered in the BeBook. Then if you have an idea about the class's purpose, write that down as an overview.

After that, I would go from function to function, read through it, report any bugs I find, and document its functionality.

I would start with basic classes, like those in the Support Kit, or Storage Kit. The Interface Kit is probably the most complicated one, and also probably not really worth the effort (besides BView, and BWindow), since this kit will probably undergo the most changes when going into the R2 direction, and the current BeBook is probably good enough, too. New functionality or functionality not yet described in the BeBook should have the highest precedence, though, in order to cover the whole API one day.

Not sure this helps you much, though :-)

Bye,
   Axel.