[haiku-doc] Re: How can I start contributing?

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 15:22:55 -0400

On 2022-09-05 14:26, Harshad D wrote:
> I am looking for a way to start contributing to the Documentation for Haiku. Would be great if anyone can point me in the right direction.
> I can help with proofreading, spell-checking and in general making a document more 'readable'.

A lot of it is stored in our Git repository, and some is in Markdown of some sort (those .rst files) and gets converted into pretty HTML as part of the build process, other ones get auto-generated from the code (the developer docs listing Classes, functions, and other programming stuff).

You can poke around the current files from the web, though for editing them it's best to set up Git and use that to submit changes.  Here's a link to the web interface:
https://git.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/docs

Instructions for using Git with Haiku source (and docs).  The developers (best via IRC chat) can explain how to use Git if you get stuck:
https://www.haiku-os.org/guides/building/get-source-git

- Alex (occasional Haiku contributor)