[haiku-doc] Decoupling user guide from Welcome Package

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku Documentation ML <haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:40:03 +0200

Hi there!

As you may have noted, there's some work going on for a Welcome Package (see /boot/documentation/welcome/welcome.html). At "Getting to know the system" we link to a number of documents that serve as an introduction to Haiku's most important components.

I'm wondering, does it make sense to have these documents try to be simply a brief welcome introduction or wouldn't it be better to have them evolve into a "complete" (yeah, right...) user documentation?
We can still try to be concise and link to further information of a topic to
other pages.

I plan to keep doing documentation, hopefully with help from anyone interested. I just don't see much sense in having a bit of information at one place and later a more complete documentation somewhere else.

So, I propose in expectation of a growing documentation, to just link to a contents page from "Getting to know the system" and link to the specific topics (with their subchapters) from there.
The different topic pages will then not link back to the welcome.html but to
the contents.

If we can agree on that, I can work on something tomorrow so you can see what I mean and present that for further refinement.

I cc'ed this mail to stippi, as he's my lifeline to SVN and I don't know if he's subscribed to this list.

I just realized, that maybe I should have contacted the list earlier, when the welcome package was started. I apologize if I stepped on anyone's toes by not informing you of my plans. It was just too much of an excitement at the time. :)

Regards,
Humdinger

--
Deutsche Haiku News @ http://haiku-gazette.blogspot.com