[haiku-doc] BeBook or Be Developer's Guide + Be Advanced Topics?

  • From: "Ezequiel Valenzuela" <evi.net.ml.freelists.org.ev.tech.01@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 15:37:46 +0000

Hello everyone.

I've been following Haiku OS (releases) with some interest for a few
good years now (possibly 2 or 3, IIRC). Being a software engineer by
profession (I enjoy the development part the most), I wanted to study
the BeOS API, and possibly "play" a little bit with it.

Anyway, getting to the point: I have found the online version of the
"updated" BeBook ( http://haiku-os.org/legacy-docs/bebook/ ), and also
found temptingly cheap (and available) used copies of the books "Be
Developer's Guide" and "Be Advanced Topics". The obvious questions are:

 * is the "updated" online BeBook as "up-to-date" as the aforementioned
   printed books? If it's as up-to-date (or more up-to-date than)
   as/than the printed ones:
  * is the BeBook more or less "thorough" as a guide and as a reference
    than the printed books?
 * how current are the aforementioned printed books in terms of the
   current (and planned) Hakiku R1 APIs?

I hope someone takes a couple of minutes to provide a nice reply, as
"playing" with the Haiku OS from a developer's perspective (first, as an
application developer, then possibly as a systems programmer) would
definitely appeal to my natural sense of curiousity/geek "drive" (to
learn "new" things properly).

Thanks in advance.

   Ezequiel Valenzuela

(email message sent to haiku-doc and haiku-development. sorry for any
inconvenience caused.)