[haiku-development] Re: xicon and executable scripts

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 23:02:56 -0700

On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 09:26:56PM -0700, donn@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Quoth pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx,
> > Close the folder window and re-open it, because the Tracker only seems
> > to update such things when the window is first opened.
>
> Ah, I missed that.
Lots of little surprises...  As far as I can tell, the BeOS Tracker
doesn't behave that way (changes are seen immediately), but on the
other hand its 'copyattr' seems always to copy permissions too --
even if one just asks for a specific attribute with "-n"!  (Haven't
checked the Haiku one for that yet.) I've tried to go through everything
two or three times in different orders to be sure of what I'm seeing...!
>                     So, looking at src/kits/app/Roster.cpp, I guess
> we might be talking about the sequence of tests in _TranslateRef(),
> with working hypothesis that the preferred app test for the node
> should be first, before the execute bit test.  (Preferred app for
> node only - continue to fall back to general file type preferred app
> after checking execute bit, as currently.)
Sounds right (without knowing the source -- I've yet to download any
of that myself).

> I just mention that by way of confirmation that your observed results
> match the code, and the code doesn't suggest (to me anyway) a way to
> work around the problem.  You ought to file a bug report, I'd say.
I assume you mean a workaround without patching the Tracker?  Do you
see any problem with reordering _TranslateRef()'s tests?  I'll try to
submit a bug report in short order.

Thanks,
                        -- Pete --