[haiku-development] Re: usr/bin

  • From: Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 01:37:21 +0000

Axel Dörfler wrote:
Rob Judd wrote:
Until we go multi-user, could we have a symlink from /boot/system/bin to
/usr/bin please? It would make porting apps that call /usr/bin/env a
whole lot easier.

Even with multi user, there will never be a /usr directory in Haiku.
Porting is not just recompiling, and it deserves a bit more attention
(like to put the settings into the right place, or use the native Media
Kit instead of porting G-Streamer as well).

Not sure where you're planning to put user-accesible binaries then, and /usr/bin just seemed the obvious location.

I also am aware of the difference between merely compiling something and porting it, D'oh! But when a test suite uses Python and calls hundreds of scripts with #!/usr/bin/env python then the sensible thing to do is NOT edit the whole mess, but to install a simple symlink. I don't care what the _proper_ way to do that might be, the return isn't worth the effort when tests are run once and then immediately deleted once their results are known.

Uh, and I have no idea what G-Streamer might be...

Rob