[haiku-development] Re: using a branch

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 08:39:49 -0400

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Oliver Tappe<zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> After you have created the branch, you either switch your local trunk sandbox
> to the branch or make a separate checkout, depending whether or not you like
> to be able to build the trunk, too. I personally always make a separate
> checkout.

Given how long the process can take to checkout all our code (at least
for those of us outside Europe), I might recommend copying the already
existing trunk checkout to a new directory on your local machine and
then doing svn switch if you want to keep the trunk version around.
Also for those wondering the branch is fairly efficient on the server
side since any unmodified code just points to the trunk version.

Also on a related note, is it acceptable or a good practice to only
branch certain subdirectories? For example if one just wanted to
refactor a small part of the code? AFAIK it will work in principle
(after all trunk is just a directory to svn), I was just curious what
others think of it.

This actually might be one example where you'd only want to branch the
kernel or wherever you are working.

--
Regards,
Ryan