[haiku-development] Re: usb_joy

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 00:03:21 +0200 CEST

"Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Input from someone having
> a more detailed picture of how we're going to implement joystick
> support in general would be helpful here.

Not that I have any clue what I'm talking about here, but Joystick
support is usually provided by the BJoystick class. How it interacts
with the device is not defined anywhere AFAIK (and I could be wrong
there), but it should be relatively easy to come up with a protocol.
As for the input_server, I would just write an (optional!) add-on that
uses BJoystick to translate joystick "action" to mouse moved messages.
Note that this might clash with what games would expect (especially
those allowing both input devices to be used), so I'm not sure this add
-on should work like this always, or eventually be enabled by a special
short cut key.

Bye,
   Axel.