[haiku-development] Re: time prefs and timezone at all

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 14:02:57 +0200 CEST

Julun <HOST.HAIKU@xxxxxx> wrote:
> first of all the gmt and local time setting does not affect the
> system
> clock. while looking for the issue behind, i noticed that it does not
> call the required system calls to change the timezone. changing
> system
> time between gmt and local means we should call
> _kern_set_tzfilename(...) with the gmt bool true or false and
> adjusting
> the time offset with _kern_set_timezone(...). this seems to fail.

It doesn't really look like this can even fail; for the implementation
details please have a look at src/system/kernel/real_time_clock.c
Looking at the API provided there, it doesn't really look that
convincing, though.
Also, there is a TODO comment in _user_set_tzfilename() that looks like
it could be the cause of what you're experiencing.

> so i was looking into the source of clockconfig.c how it's done there
> and it uses the way discribed above. looking thru the code i found
> the
> comment "// we don't care if not RTC settings is found, default is
> local" and i think this assumption is false. (see the notice at the
> bottom) we should assume that the system is running in utc and not
> local
> time, as local time would only be default for windows like system,
> see:
>
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html

Even though I agree with that article, Windows is *much* more common on
the home desktop than anything else, and thus, the default to UTC might
still viable.

[...]
> i have no real question, but it would be nice if some of the kernel
> dev's can comment on this and how it should work. should i create a
> bugreport on this?

If you don't want to fix it yourself, please do :-)

> Notice: to be not relying upon the assumption the system runs utc, we
> should ask during install (when the installer is there) and set the
> value properly in the RTC_time_settings file and the timezone link.

I don't think that this should be presented on install - usually you
just don't know. I think the installation process should be as smart as
possible in this regard (either check if there is a Windows installed,
or where the system is located via checking the IP address, or
whatever).

> why is that on present at all and points to Paris?

Because Korli set that up, and he is French :-)

Bye,
   Axel.