[haiku-development] Re: the final stage of PoorMan development

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:16:09 +0100 CET

Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Ma Jie schrieb:
> > 4. I'm cleaning the source files to make
> > them comply the coding guidelines. The
> > existing copyright notices didn't mention
> > the license and if the codes are copyrighted
> > to haiku inc. or copyrighted to Philip.
>
> Sorry, no idea. If they didn't mention the
> license, it could mean they are "public domain",
> ie just keep "Copyright YEARS, Philip...".

I can't say much about the code in question,
but anyway, some generic words of caution:

Absence of copyright info and license is not to
be taken lightly. Copyright is implied even when
not expressed. (Berne Convention, IIRC.)
It doesn't matter if there is no copyright, as
it's copyrighted by default.

I believe copying a copyrighted piece without a
license that expressly allows the piece to be copied,
is copyright infringement.

Replacing/adding copyright and/or license without
the expressed permission of (all) the author(s) is
likely also some kind of copyright infringement.
Maybe there's another term for it.

> > I'm waiting for your replies.
> >
> > BTW, I'm still tracing several troublesome bugs
> > now. Because this is my first Be application,
> > I have no idea when I can finish. Maybe I'll
> > have some questions about the Be APIs to ask.
>
> No problem, just ask away. :-)

Show us the code and you will have feedback!

/Jonas.