[haiku-development] Re: telnetd/ftpd ?

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:07:11 +0100

Am 14.01.2011 05:34, schrieb Justin Stressman:
On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 10:51 PM,<pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Yeah -- that memory was dim by now, but I think I've ticked all the boxes
therein.  Did you not get *any* connection before you set things up?
I'm pretty sure the default ('baron') let me in to the login prompt,
but I couldn't get any further.  Now I'm not even getting that far.

If I remember correctly I didn't even get a login prompt. It was
maddening to me because there was a user account, and everything was
running etc... but it simply acted like nothing was there at all until
I added a password and restarted... then magically it went through.

The password trick was only ever necessary for me to get SSH logins into my Haiku systems working. For logging in with FTP, I never had to configure a password. Indeed it worked by using my user name ("stippi", I have my jam profiles set up such that the default user is "stippi"), and supplying no password or any random password. I've used that all the time, so I am sure about it. FTP logins stopped working after some changes on the networking (or some unrelated changes performed at about the same time) and setting a password does not help either. SSH logins still work after setting a password as before, that's now the only way left to copy files across the network for me.

Best regards,
-Stephan