[haiku-development] Re: rolling release? ever? maybe?

  • From: Stefano Ceccherini <stefano.ceccherini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 20:48:50 +0100

Il giorno 17/nov/2011 20.11, "Adrien Destugues" <
pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:

> Well, we use a lot of 3rdparty stuff in Haiku. Some examples are
> freetype (text rendering), ICU (localization), the BSD network
> drivers...
> The idea is to wrap a stable API around them so the applications can
> keep running. It seems to work quite well. Data translators work in the
> same way, and they even allow to use new file formats in old
> applications.
>
> This only works if the apps are written properly and use only the Haiku
> API and not the internal libraries.

So, if it does not always work, we have this problem as well, just like
every other Linux distribution. For example, you talked about ICU: if we
include a given version of it, we have to make sure that other applications
which needs it are compiled against the correct version, otherwise they
need to keep a different version of the library in their folder, or need to
be compiled statically (with the obvious related problems)